Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Happy Diwali!

Hello!
I am back on solid ground. I had a pretty slow weekend but our program at CFI has picked up a little. Jacci and I will spend the next few weeks spending some time with the HIV/Aids prevention department. Yesterday we went to a village about 30 km away from Pen to attend a youth HIV/Aids awareness camp. It was really cool! The vibe from the people that run this department is very different from the people who run community development. The social workers are a lot calmer and have a knack for keeping a group of 17 year olds focused. I was talking to one of the social workers after the meeting and she said that the meeting was designed to pass on basic knowledge about HIV to the locals. Many of the villagers have misconceptions about HIV but are now finally becoming more comfortable with HIV/Aids education.
Anyway, the day was really fun and tonight we will be attending a medical check up camp for PLWA ( People living with Aids). I shall report back tomorrow.
After my previous rant, I recieved many concerned emails ( I appreciate it by the way). Everything is back to normal and I have just established how far I will bend. I have a habit of never establishing boundaries but now I have, so things are going really well. I am happy and healthy and mid way through the Diwali festival. Diwali is like the Christmas of India and everyone is getting really excited. Fireworks are being sold everywhere (dear god) and beautiful linen lanterns hang in every doorway. Next week we have a two day working week, so if you have any ideas of how to pass time in India (without a travel visa) let me know!
The pictures below are from the youth awareness camp.



















Just wanted to say thank you too my lovely grandparents who surprised me with a phone call from England yesterday. I really appreciated it and am sending all my love ( via the internet of course). Plus, I know all you students are knee deep in midterms, so good luck and stay sane.
Take care everyone. Adios

No comments: