Thursday, October 16, 2008

Elephanta!

Okay so these pictures are a little out of order but......

This one is from Elephanta Island off the coast of Mumbai. On this tiny island there are tons of hindu temples and caves. Very cool!

This is the entrance to the first cave




This little guy was running around exploring the caves and I thought he was pretttttty adorable...so me being the creep that I am, snapped a shot.




Our view of the sunset from the top of the boat. Sunset + little cups of chai = Katyland bliss





The Gateway to India. It is one of the most famous sites in Mumbai. The foundation was set in 1920 and the construction officially finished in 1924. It was built to 'commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary to Bombay'. As impressive as it was, I had more fun taking pictures of everyone enjoying their sunday.




See ---- > I can practically hear the ice cream hitting the floor.






The weekend in Mumbai was fun. I was there for official reasons but also had a few moments to do some really touristy stuff. I also had the chance to spend two glorious hours in a massive bookstore, which, for obvious reasons, made my day. There is something special about reading a book about Indian culture, while sharing my one person seat on the train with three other Indian women. I did manage to get home though.
Although I had a great time in Mumbai, I was really happy to get back to Pen last night. Mumbai is really busy and I have become really accustomed to village life. I adore everything about living here. The people, the food, the sounds, the smells, the wonderful cows, our neighbours dogs ( evidently I have begun to hear the sound of my neighbour screaming "DOLLY" in my dreams), our bungalow, sitting on my deck first thing in the morning, the local bakery and I guess above everything, the way I feel when I am here. I wake up completely happy and I close my eyes at night with laughter in my heart. It's hard to explain why but I do really feel wonderful here.

Okay, so let's pretend I didn't sound that cheesy but inspired happiness. I just feel blessed, blessed, blessed.

adios

No comments: