Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Giving the gift of gold





This week has been the Diwali festival and a lot of dancing has taken place. It is also just another excuse to prance around in public and in my case, look ricidulous. It has been a lot of fun. The pictures were taken in a tiny village that is currently involved with CFI. We spent the day with the women who were being educated on health and hygiene. It was a really great experience, expecially the dancing. Oh and I literally had the entire dance group falling on the ground laughing at me. Thank god my ego can take it. We also were able to join the community development team in 'community games' in a few villages. One game was designed to empower young women before marriage and another was designed to help married women with health matters. It is interesting to see how CFI uses culture as a tool to educate, by using song and dance. The villagers responded really well to all the games and even encouraged me to join in. This was slightly challenging, as I don't speak Marathi but still fun none the less. The last picture was taken in Ghote village. The main income source for this village is the cultivation of rice. The villagers beat the rice stalks (??) against the barrels to remove the grains. I hope that made sense.


India has been great this past week. Jacci and I have been having dinner at our cook's place and hanging out with her friends and family Everyone has been so welcoming here, which is really fortunate as we are the only westerners in town. It's funny to feel like a celebrity, with people asking for autographs and pictures. Takes a little getting used to. Anyway, I am officially tired of staring at this computer. One more story and I am heading out. Jacci and I were playing a question and answer game with some tribal women yesterday and the question I was asked was " Is it healthier to eat two prunes or to eat tobacco".... Well what do you think?



Adios!

No comments: