Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Roses and Smokeless Chulas

Okay, just to update you. Yesterday we went to the village Ghote, about 10 minutes outside of Pen. It is situated in this gorgeous valley, surrounded by lush green fields and waterfalls. It is so beautiful here, sometimes I can't speak ( I guess that would be a first). So we arrived at this village which has been under the CFI community development plan for three years and were able to look around. It is pretty obvious, compared to other non developed villages, that funding has been designated to Ghote. As much as this village has paved roads and a community hall, it still retained that rural quality. Basically, the ways and practises of tribes people in southern India had not been assimilated in the development process. Every minute I spend with the CFI staff members and listen to what they have to say, I really do learn something new. The unique thing about the community development team is that every member was born and raised in a rural village. They don't barge in with urban idea's and biases and there is never a sense of pity from the CFI workers. The tribes people are incredibly proud of their land and people. I have a lot to learn about introducing development into communties. Well one thing that I have learnt to say is " Goay Chan Ahey", which means " your village is beautiful" in Marati ( the local language). It proves to be pretty useful in the chai tea negotiations.
So I have had a pretty incredible week visiting the tribes that surround Pen. This weekend, my roommate and I are heading to Pune to visit a meditation resort. I will report back from my Zen like state.
Finally, I am trying to think of a funny story. The language barrier proves to be quite funny ALL of the time, especially when you find out you might actually be engaged to 12 year old ( I'm not kidding). Jacci and I were at the beach in Alibuag and this young guy walked up to me. We were chatting about India ( well about the food and cricket) and I asked him how old he was. For some reason this question stumps EVERYONE! This is how the conversation went. Lets call him Bill.
Katy - " How old are you?"
Bill - " Cricket"
Katy - " No no, what age are you?"
Bill" " Ahhhh umm about 80 to 92" ( He looked 15)
Katy " oh Okay great thanks!"

I have to try really hard to control my laughter. I am only a month in and I have a six pack
Anyway, adios!

No comments: