Friday, September 12, 2008

Train Spotting.

Mumbai has been really fun and I have really enjoyed hanging out with the women in the film and media program....some perks include 4 hour Bollywood movies and krumping with Zoe (the aussie) in the middle of our room. It's been quite a treat. We had some time to kill last night, so we all went to the newest mall in town ( pretty typical, I know but apparently it was a sight to see).  It was your average mall. Not not really...It was five stories high and made entirely out of glass...... but the best part was finding the Mecca of doughnut stores. This place " Mad for Doughnut" is a company out of Thailand and the doughnuts are incredible. They even have savory doughnuts with cheese and herbs. It's amazing and was the highlight of my day. Yeah, I like carbs THAT much.  So, back to reality---- I was supposed to be heading out to Pen (the place I will be for the next two and half months) tomorrow morning but it turns out that the other girl in my program won't be there for another week......So....Safeena (the lady who runs ISAC) offered to put me up in her house and said I could spend the next week teaching English at the local orphanage. I am pretty excited about this., plus I will get to finish up the weekend here in Mumbai. So there are all my various updates.  ..OH plus, I was blessed by a eunuch on the train today. I was sitting on the train when this manly looking woman wearing a sari clapped and touched my head. After inquiring about this ritual ( I was thinking " oh that's nice, someone is blessing the train"), I was told that no one will hire eunuchs, so begging and randomly blessing strangers is their only means of income. So I handed him/her five rupees and was officially 'blessed'. Nice ..right?      Adios

2 comments:

Supertutor said...

did you lose your camera??? Any chance of some photos ... oh pleeeeeeeeeez! Good stories, tho! Keep 'em coming!!

cates said...

The internet is SO painfully slow,it won't let me upload any pictures. I sent you some though....