Monday, November 10, 2008

"...and commanded the night brigade"

Okay, so I have about 30 seconds to fill you in.

I moved! Jacci and I left Pen yesterday afternoon and arrived in a new town called Khade. It's about the same size and is about an hour away from Pune. The exciting part is the new NGO we will be working at. We will be hanging out with Chaitanya for the next week and a half. Chaitanya focuses on micro-finance and targets women and youth groups. I am really excited about finally being able to learn about micro-finance and the societal implications of these micro loans. Another great thing about Chaitanya is the "Junkar" program. A junkar is an educator who is trained by Chaitanya and travels around the tribal villages helping people understand their rights. There is a lot more to this but I am primarily concerned with the legal aid these Junkars offer. This weekend Chaitanya had a conference with the Pune police force and the local women self help group's (SHG's), to help the women become more comfortable with the policemen and for the policemen to combat domestic abuse more effectively. In short ----- incredible!@!!!!
So I will give a more thorough update when I have the time but for now it's back to the books. Chaitanya also has this insane, all English text library covering from UN aid to the basics of Micro-Finance. I am a little too happy to be hanging out in a library.
Anyway, must run! 10 days until my dad arrives in India and I can't wait to see him! I hope everything is happy and healthy! Take care

No comments: